This is a lovely recipe for vegans and non-vegans alike. Rich in healthy protein and bone-building minerals, this mushroom soup offers protection against cardiovascular disease, strengthens immune function, and helps reduce inflammation throughout the body - simply do a search through the online archives at the National Library of Medicine and you`ll confirm these and other health benefits from regular consumption of button and cremini (sometimes spelled crimini) mushrooms.
Here`s what Breanna had to say after giving it a go: I really enjoyed this soup; it actually reminds me of a creamy mushroom soup that I used to order at a little caf� when I was in college, although that one was made with butter and heavy cream, and who knows what else. This dairy-free mushroom soup is savory and hearty - the flavors are so developed and extremely comforting. The roasted almond butter gave a subtle depth to the soup that I really loved. It has a great balance of flavors and nutrients, and made my kitchen smell divine!
Ingredients: 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 1 small to medium onion, roughly chopped 1 rib of celery, roughly diced 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, cleaned and quartered 8 ounces white mushrooms, cleaned and quartered 5 cups vegetable broth 1/2 flat teaspoon of dried thyme (optional) 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (optional) 3 tablespoons of roasted almond butter 1 cup unsweetened almond milk 2 tablespoons toasted sliced mushrooms Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Directions:1. In a large soup pot, heat extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat. Cook onion and celery about 5 minutes or until softened.
2. Add mushrooms and cook for another two minutes, stirring throughout.
3. Add vegetable broth and thyme, then sea salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until vegetables are tender - about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Add almond butter. Use a hand blender in the soup pot to bring everything together, or transfer to a blender to get the job done.
5. While still over low heat, stir in almond milk, taste, add sea salt and pepper if necessary.
6. Serve soup in bowls and garnish with fresh parsley and toasted almond slices. Enjoy this creamy mushroom soup while it`s hot.